Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Updates Galore!

It’s been quite a while since my last update.

But now that I don’t have one of those gross fulltime jobs, I have plenty of time to devote to more interesting efforts, like blogging and music and staying out too late.

Since my last post, I have relocated to Brooklyn (that’s in New York City for you folks in the Midwest)

I am without a job, living off my savings and still don’t know how to get from my stop on the L train to my apartment once the sun sets.

…but…

fear not!

I’ll find a job, maybe some money and definitely a sense of direction.

Onward and upward!!

Though the mass of boxes that have been occupying my apartment (rent free) have been keeping me more than busy, my initial impressions of NYC have been overwhelmingly positive. I haven’t spent much time on the other side of the river, but thus far Brooklyn’s treated this girl like a real lady.

Though I can say that I’ve had a bit of homesickness – I can come up with at least 3 reasons why NYC >>> DC:

3. The Sheer Abundance of Fashionistas(os)
I’m unsure as to whether or not it has to do with keeping up with the celebrities that live here or the exorbitantly high rents that make people so well dressed. This year, I’m wearing nothing but skinny jeans and slouchy boots.

2. The New York City Subway System
Its on time, it runs 24 hours a day, its reliable. I can say none of those things about Metro.

1. New Shows (ahem, The Presets)
I was going to devote an entire post to this, but decided not to because its definitely old news at this point. Last week, L. and I went to Galapagos to see the reformation, reincarnation of a favorite band of ours (Elkland), rebranded as Goat Explosion. After just barely making it through the first band’s attempt at synthesized, alt-country, twee – Goat Explosion went on, only to play four songs. Apparently, the lead singer couldn’t hear the bass in his monitor, the sound guys couldn’t fix it, and he decided to coerce the rest of the band to walk of stage. Angry, but unwilling to surrender, L. and I waited 45 minutes while the Presets set up – and we were not disappointed. Mixing distorted vocals; synthesized, genuine beats and a lot of natural energy, these guys delivered a hell of a show.

Check out The Presets on MySpace

I’m sure that in the coming weeks, this list will exponentially grow from 3 to 300.

Stay tuned.






No comments: